Let’s destory a lightbulb! For this project, I got limited tools (just 3D Max without Rayfire and Mental Ray). First, I built a Lightbulb, used a script to cut each part of the glass in seperated elements and placed a bomb in the middle of the lightbulb. The bomb push the glasses from the middle point. When I got a nice result, after simulating and simulating again, I frozed everythig and convert the result to a singel mesh. Now comes the nasty part. Every single shard needs to get two kinds of poly id’s to divide the elements in border and surface. With this method, I can put a noise modifier just on the boarder polygons to get nice irregularities. I also used two kinds of glass material for the shared. The flame, which comes out from the middle, is a painted self illiuminated flame on a surface. For the details, a little bit dust, one kind reflects, the other is self-illuminating, a prize depth of field, a breeze photoshop make up and we are done!